"Sometimes while I'm talking to God, He'll show me something about myself in such a way that I have to laugh at my own humanity and how funny I must look to Him." - Donna

Donna...just found your blog...I absolutely love it! And I love your singing! I'm at work right now and it was just exactly what I needed to hear to help me make it through tonight! Thanks for your ministry here!
- Robert

Google Time

Custom Search
Protected by Copyscape Website Copyright Protection

Friday, May 21, 2004

Run of the Mill

”Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.” - Hebrews 12:1


Do you sometimes feel as if you’re stuck on one of those hamster wheels? You run and run, and get nowhere. I’ve felt like that lately.

I’ve been making yet another effort to get into shape, and I’m focusing less on appearance this time. I used to aim for a goal weight or a pant size. This time, my goal is to feel better. Period. I’m tired of being tired. Plus I’d like to get to the point where I could jog without passing out.

I set up a treadmill in my basement. It amuses me that I’ve walked what seems like a thousand miles, and I’m still in the same place – in an unfinished basement listening to my old stereo, one with an eight-track player, no less.

Today, as I trudged along, I wondered how many people feel like this could be a metaphor for their lives. I know time marches on even if I’m not going anywhere. The digital timer I watch ever so closely assures me of that.

And I do know I’m walking forward. My sister-in-law had to be picked up off the floor more than once at the gym because she set the treadmill to the wrong speed and ended up going backwards.

So I press on. One day, I’m hoping I’ll be rewarded with a healthier body for my effort.

The writer who spoke to the Hebrews advised them to ‘run with patience’ the race set before them. Paul told the Philippians, “Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.”

My prayer is that as I make my way down the path of life, I will fulfill the purpose God has for me, and I won’t feel I’ve labored in vain.

In my walk through this world, I’ll press on, “laying aside every weight.” Now I know the writer of Hebrews referred to things that would hinder our spiritual growth, but oh, how I wish I could lay aside some physical weight as well!

Prayer: Lord, I thank You for Your Word that is a lamp for my path, and for Your promise to make my path straight when I acknowledge You. I desire to follow You all the days of my life. In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've just started walking Rebel & Rascal each night (one at a time of course)... this is another good devotional! Many of us are striving for better health/bodies so we can relate to your topic easily! With each step I take I will remember this devotion and use my nightly walks to consider my walk with Jesus and where I stand in it! Thanks Donna! I love this site! Diane W.

Donna J. Shepherd said...

With dogs as big as yours, who's walking who? *g*

Thanks!

Donna

Anonymous said...

Donna,

I have been reading your devotionals. Your creativity and writing is unbelievable. You should compile all of these into a devotional book when you get enough.

It is God who gives you your ideas and ability. He will continue to be an unending resource, when you trust and depend on him.

I spend a lot of my time writing too, but not words - music. I am the arranger for several books already out.

I did learn something from one of your devotions - the one about going to the bank. I have always wondered what that plastic tube was called that comes down the chute. Now I know - it's a "do-hicky "

One year at Christmastime, I was under so much pressure that I started doing odd things. Sheila and I pulled into the bank drive through in a hurry to withdraw some money. I was talking, with my mind somewhere else and hurriedly took my money out of the do-hicky and instead of putting it back in the holder, I tossed it in the backseat and took off. Later, I discovered I had the do-hicky in the backseat and had to return it to the bank without anyone noticing.

Lavawan

Anonymous said...

Donna,

I’ve passed your devotional page onto lots of friends and coworkers. You’re quite talented and, most importantly, anointed to do such a challenging “work.” Thank you for your words of encouragement!

Cheryl

Donna J. Shepherd said...

Cheryl, thank you for passing the word on. I appreciate it!

Lavawan, I'm sure you will have many more books in your future. Thanks for reading my blog.

Donna

Anonymous said...

Donna, I think you're a very good writer. You make me feel better every time I read something you've written. You do a great job. Keep up the good work. Thanks.
Patty Bashaw

Anonymous said...

"Today, as I trudged along, I wondered how many people feel like this could be a metaphor for their lives." Wow! What a great way to express an idea! Your treadmill analogy helped me to realize that "laying aside every weight" is often a matter of choice. I wish you much success in your effort to feel better. I'll think I'll join you with the same end in mind.--Ellen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...