"Sometimes while I'm talking to God, He'll show me something about myself in such a way that I have to laugh at my own humanity and how funny I must look to Him." - Donna

Donna...just found your blog...I absolutely love it! And I love your singing! I'm at work right now and it was just exactly what I needed to hear to help me make it through tonight! Thanks for your ministry here!
- Robert

Google Time

Custom Search
Protected by Copyscape Website Copyright Protection

Thursday, June 24, 2004

Grandma’s Special Stove


May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. – Hebrews 13:20-21 NIV


My niece is remodeling her kitchen. Her four-year-old son, Chase, heard her talking to the contractor about which stove to buy. After the worker left, Chase came running up to Michelle. “Mommy, you have to get one just like Grandma’s!”

Michelle asked him why, to which he replied, “Because everything that comes out of it tastes delicious!”

Chase credited the stove with far too much power. I’m certain Grandma Shirley would think so, too, since she’s the one who created the scrumptious concoctions that went into the oven.

How many times do we fail to give God credit when He uses mankind to accomplish His will? Just as the stove is only a vessel used to cook a meal, we are vessels used by God.

I know of people who’ve traveled hundreds of miles to have a particular man or woman pray for them to be healed. God does use men and women in the healing ministry, but the true Healer is Jesus.

Don't be deceived, my dear brothers. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. – James 1:16-17 NIV

Chase credited the stove with creating the meals, and at times, we credit man with the healing, instead of the Healer Himself.

We eat out so much these day I have to dust my stove occasionally. I’d really love to have one like Chase imagined.

Prayer: Lord, You alone are good. I praise You for Your goodness, for Your healing power, and for blessings, which come from You alone. I humbly ask You to use me as Your willing vessel. In Jesus’ Name I pray. Amen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna,
What a wonderful lesson for all of us. You know...I'm very thankful that God is using YOU now to teach me valuable lessons, and to help guide me.

Hugs,

Queen Jawjaw
http://www.queenjawjaw.com
The Queen of Experiences

Unknown said...

a nice restorative devotional. thanks!

Anonymous said...

Donna:
Right on target! That is so true! And we need to pray more that we become vessels for the Lord to use. All that we do is because he gives us to do! The credit, glory and praise belong to him. Amen!

Songbird

Anonymous said...

Donna,

Thank you for writing this, reminding us all that we need to give God the Glory and not a person or thing! What a great reminder for me in particular. Thanks so much !

Jennifer

Becky said...

Can you say convicted? Thanks for helping point out that I don't always give God credit where He has credit due. :)

Wonderfully put, Donna, as usual!

Becky
http://becky920.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...