"Sometimes while I'm talking to God, He'll show me something about myself in such a way that I have to laugh at my own humanity and how funny I must look to Him." - Donna

Donna...just found your blog...I absolutely love it! And I love your singing! I'm at work right now and it was just exactly what I needed to hear to help me make it through tonight! Thanks for your ministry here!
- Robert

Google Time

Custom Search
Protected by Copyscape Website Copyright Protection

Friday, July 09, 2004

An Audience of One

The eyes of the LORD are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked and the good. – Proverbs 15:3 NIV

Have your ever felt you don’t accomplish much?

When I read blogs, I find myself drawn to the comments. Several people have told me they enjoy reading the comments almost as much as the original post. At times I have to ask myself if I’m doing this to glorify God or to generate praise for my effort.

In the twelfth chapter of Mark, we read an account of offerings given to the temple. Jesus sat across the way and observed the people as they put their money into the treasury. The rich people gave large amounts. I’m sure they made quite a spectacle of themselves to draw attention to their generosity.

Then here comes a poor widow. She drops in two very small copper coins (Money Museum) only worth a fraction of a penny – hardly worth the effort in the eyes of many. But the eyes of many weren’t watching. She had an audience of One.

Jesus called his disciples to Him to comment, “I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything--all she had to live on.” (Vs. 43 NIV Bible Gateway)

Countless people through the ages have read these comments made by Jesus. A widow who thought she’d accomplished so little has been held up as a model of unselfishness and obedience.

God knows our hearts. Just like the widow, all of us are being observed. At the end of the day, what does God say of our efforts? It’s easy to get caught up in the comments and compliments of many, but we live for an audience of One.

Prayer: Lord, my desire is to glorify You alone in everything I do. Thank You, Lord, for keeping watch over me. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna,
The last paragraph of this post says it all. God does indeed know our hearts. We are all being observed by the most important person in the world. What DOES God say of our efforts at the end of the day?? Don't let yourself get caught up in the praise of humans. We should only be interested in what God thinks. Each & every one of us SHOULD be living for an audience of One. Thanks for sharing.

gkv

Donna J. Shepherd said...

Thanks for visiting the site and leaving your comments. I appreciate it.

Donna

Donna J. Shepherd said...

I meant to add that I just HAD to respond, 'cause I've already admitted I read all the comments. LOL!!

Donna

Rhodi Alers de López said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...