"Sometimes while I'm talking to God, He'll show me something about myself in such a way that I have to laugh at my own humanity and how funny I must look to Him." - Donna

Donna...just found your blog...I absolutely love it! And I love your singing! I'm at work right now and it was just exactly what I needed to hear to help me make it through tonight! Thanks for your ministry here!
- Robert

Google Time

Custom Search
Protected by Copyscape Website Copyright Protection

Monday, September 20, 2004

Immutable God

For I am the LORD, I change not. Malachi 3:6 kjv

Today is my 29th wedding anniversary. I posted a wedding picture a while back, and several people commented that it didn’t look like me at all. A lot has changed in the past almost-three decades. I grew up, and managed to nurture two children to adulthood. My husband and I have changed in many ways, and the world around us has become drastically different than the one on which we stood and made our vows.

I’m thankful that even as the world and people around me change, the Lord does not. He is ever faithful, not subject to whims and changing times. There are many things beyond my control, and at times, I may have difficult adjusting. That’s why the stability of God is so important.

God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill? Numbers 23:19

God’s love does not waver. His Word will stand forever. His promises are sure.

I talked to a young girl not long ago, and in the course of the conversation, she mentioned a cartoon she liked. I could relate as this was one I watched as a child. She said, “Donna, does it make you feel old when you realize the cartoons that were new when you were a child are on Vault Disney?”

“Vault” Disney? I didn’t even know of such a show! And yes. I did feel old. But only for a moment. Most of the time, I still feel like the young woman in my wedding picture, determined to be the best Christian, wife, mom, and minister for Jesus that I can be. I pray that’s one thing that will never change.

Prayer: Thank you, Lord, for Your love has saved me, and sustains me. I praise You, and rest assured in Your constancy. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.

7 comments:

Becky said...

Happy anniversary!

You're so right about the way we change. It's wonderful to think that who we are on the inside is very much the same... and that's the part that Jesus sees.

Hugs,
Becky

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!

No wait, that's not right.

Just kiddin'. :D

Hope you have a great day! And personally, I think you still look a lot like the woman in the wedding picture. Every time I see your photo I think, "Wow, my friend is a beautiful lady." Seriously, I do.

Resting in God's changelessness (did I create a new word?)

Becca :)

Donna J. Shepherd said...

Thanks, Becky and Becca. Wow, Becca, do go on! *blush* I thought about finding an old pic of my husband and me, then contrasting it with one from today, but decided against it. The wedding picture is more than enough. *g*

Donna J. Shepherd said...

Oh, and changelessness IS a word. A tongue-twister, though, to be sure!

Anonymous said...

thanks Donna...I did check it out, and as usual, it spoke to me. I hope you never stop writing. JJ

Georgia Richardson - a.k.a., Queen Jaw Jaw
The Queen of Experiences

Anonymous said...

Hello, Donna, and welcome home! I hope you both had a wonderful time on your anniversary outing! Happy Anniversary!

Your devotional struck a cord with me...Vault Disney?! Aw, c'mon! Anyway, it made me think...I don't feel any older than I did as an 18 yr. old. Of course, I don't move as quickly, and I don't accomplish as much, but I don't feel OLD. Yet, things keep happening around me that try to convince me that my age is not standing still--grandbabies, for instance! And I thank the Lord for them!

Now, though, it's watching my parents grow old. Mom's in a cast with a foot full of broken bones after a fall. And two days ago, my sister called and told me that Mom has a brain tumor, and that they are not going to treat it. All of this is confusing change. But there is great comfort in knowing that God's faithfulness never changes.

Ellen

Anonymous said...

i was reading your blog... you know that my wife and I have been married for 21 years and i don't feel any different than i did when i first got married. life is absolutely amazing... and to me, my wife looks better than ever (seriously) .. but where'd all these kids come from and why are they getting so old? yep.. life is weird ... but you definitely look better than your wedding picture. ;)

Jim

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...