"Sometimes while I'm talking to God, He'll show me something about myself in such a way that I have to laugh at my own humanity and how funny I must look to Him." - Donna

Donna...just found your blog...I absolutely love it! And I love your singing! I'm at work right now and it was just exactly what I needed to hear to help me make it through tonight! Thanks for your ministry here!
- Robert

Google Time

Custom Search
Protected by Copyscape Website Copyright Protection

Friday, April 01, 2005

Thirsty for God



“Jesus answered and said to her, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, "Give Me a drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water."John 4:10 nkjv

The church service began as usual with our singing a few choruses followed by a time called “Select a Hymn” – a favorite with the members of our congregation.

As the pianist, I’m challenged when this time rolls around. I never know which hymn will catch someone’s eye on any given evening. Some nights, I know them all. At other times, I’m at a loss, but since I can play ‘by ear,’ some of the songs I manage to pick my way through without sounding completely tone deaf.

At one point, the guitarist, Amy, said to the drummer and me, “I’d like to sing ‘As the Deer,’” but we were so busy trying to keep up with the current selections, she didn’t get a chance to request it.

The song leader seemed ready to wind the session down when he said to one man who had been very persistent in raising his hand, “Which number did you select, young man?”

He stated the hymn number, and out of over 500 hymns in our book, he had chosen “As the Deer.”

Amy’s face lit up. The three of us praised the Lord with her as we sang the words in Psalm 42:1, “As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God.”

I thought how wonderful it was that the desire of her heart to praise the Lord with a certain song was granted. How many times have you prayed for something and the Lord answered with a resounding, “Yes!” to your request?

If the Lord knows the number of hairs on your head, He knows the desires of your heart. Of course, sometimes God says, “No” or “Not now,” but isn’t it wonderful when a prayer is answered so quickly? I loved it!

I have found through personal experience if I drink a glass of water first thing in the morning, I’m thirstier the entire day. I’ve also discovered if I read the Bible, pray, and seek God first thing in the morning, I long for even more time to spend alone with Him. As the deer pants for the water, my soul thirsts for God, the Living Water.

How about you? Are you thirsty?

Prayer: Lord, I praise You and long to draw closer to You. I thank You for the Living Water that becomes a fountain springing up into everlasting life. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the devotional and the "Jesus Loves Me" story from last Sunday - aren't kids awesome?

Wendy

Anonymous said...

Loved this devotional, Donna. It puts everything in life, in perspective....

Many thanks!

Toni

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm thirsty! Excited about Jesus, and very thirsty! It's nice to be in thirsty company. :)

Anonymous said...

Donna,
You KNOW I'm always thirsty!! I am constantly drinking water - it's the only thing that can even come close to quenching my thirst. And I'm even thirstier for "the living water!" That's what I live for - "living water." Jesus is my best-est friend in the whole wide world & He continues to quench my thirst. He alone can accomplish that.

gkv

Dianne said...

Good reminder, Donna, about what I should be thirsting after. Sometimes I try to quench my thirst with other things but only one thing really satifies and you hit the nail on the head here.

Eveline Maedel said...

I love that hymn, As the Deer Pants.

Beautiful devotional - I got "thirsty" just reading it :)

Paula said...

Beautiful Donna. Some days I'm thirsty for a particular song or time of worship, sometimes for a beautiful walk in spring air, sometimes for a good novel or deep spiritual book, but I'm fully aware that EVERY thirst is really for HIM!

A Heart of Worship said...

Wow! I am so glad you shared this testimony, Donna! I was really wondering if there was something wrong with me!!
I have noticed the same experience as you: The more I drink of His living water, the MORE I crave!

Bibles up!

Letitia
*And totally I agree with everything Paula said!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...